Theatre Bites is a theatre festival that celebrates the best British fringe shows in Hong Kong. We were especially interested in one of the plays ‘If Not Me, Who?’ which explores veganism, fast fashion, climate change and first world problems through comedy, song and dance in this new eco-theatre production. If you ever wondered how to explain the effects of fashion on the environment in a totally fresh new way, then you should check this out! Until 22 June.
Presented by ArtisTree, and curated by Lindsey McAlister, Founder of Hong Kong Youth Arts Foundation (HKYAF), and two-time Tony award-winning producer Brian Zeilinger, ArtisTree Selects: Theatre Bites samples the best bite-sized British theatre pieces hand-picked by the curators at Edinburgh Festival Fringe last year, including Tobacco Road, Our Man in Havana, No Kids and Sitting.
● Travel to 1950s Cuba in Our Man in Havana by Spies Like Us with just a vacuum cleaner.
● Unravel moving tales of love, longing and loss at Sitting, written by BAFTA TV award-winning actress Katherine Parkinson.
● In Tobacco Road by Incognito Theatre Company, come and experience the murky London underworld with Peaky Blinders-like characters inspired by real-life historical figures.
● Explore veganism, fast fashion, climate change and first world problems through comedy, song and dance in Lindsey McAlister’s new eco-theatre production If Not Me, Who?, featuring original music by Violaine Corradi – best known for her work with Cirque du Soleil.
● Join a same-sex couple as they debate the “Should we have kids, or not?” question set to a lively Madonna soundtrack at No Kids by Ad Infinitum.
To kick-off some of the plays, panel discussions were put together featuring industry leaders. Sarah Fung, Founder of HULA was invited to speak along with others that are creating positive impact towards fashion sustainability. A panel discussion on the topic of ‘How Sustainability is Changing the Face of Fashion’ featured; Charlotte Judet, VP of Communications, Kering Group, Kay Liu, Education Director, Redress, moderated by Angie Lau, CEO and Editor-In-Chief, Forkast News.
WHEN: 10 – 22 June 2019
WHERE: ArtisTree, Taikoo Place, Quarry Bay, HK
TICKETS: Taikoo Social app.